Tips & Restrictions
The following is information to help make your Capital Jazz Fest experience more enjoyable. Enjoy the show and have a great time!
- Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen — to protect you on sunny days.
- Tote bag — to carry your souvenirs, gifts, and belongings. Note that all bags are subject to inspection prior to entry.
- Cash — to purchase souvenirs. Some festival vendors in the Festival Marketplace may not accept credit cards.
- Credit card — beginning July 5, 2021, the food and beverage concessions and box office at Merriweather Post Pavilion will be converting to a “cashless” system. Only credit or debit cards will be accepted for purchases. Note that other vendors at the festival may still accept cash. Please note: if you will be picking up tickets at Will Call, you will need to show the actual credit card that was used to purchase your tickets.
- Small rain umbrella or rain hat — in case of showers.
- Jacket, sweatshirt, and/or sweatpants — The outside temperature can drop significantly after sunset.
- Schedule of Events — This can be printed by clicking on the TALENT LINEUP link on this page.
- Picnic Blanket — if you plan to sit on the grass. (Maximum size allowed is ten feet wide)
- Tickets — If you’ve pre-purchased tickets, don’t forget to bring them with you! If you forget to bring your tickets, you will need to repurchase new tickets at the box office when you arrive. If your tickets are being held at will call, plan to arrive early to allow time to pick up your tickets. To see box office hours, click on the TICKET INFO link on this page. Festival tickets often sell out prior to show-day, so you are advised to purchase tickets in advance.
- Photo ID — If your tickets are being held at will call, you will need to show a valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo ID to claim your tickets.
- Capital Jazz clothing — Get into the Capital Jazz Fest spirit by wearing your vintage Capital Jazz Fest shirt or hat to the festival!
- Comfortable pair of shoes — since you may be doing lots of walking throughout the day.
- Comfortable clothes — Dress for the weather.
- Binoculars — if you’re seated far from the stage.
The following items are prohibited at the Capital Jazz Fest:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tents or canopies wider than 10 feet
- Blankets or canvases wider than 10 feet
- Glass bottles or glass containers
- Camera sticks (aka “selfie sticks”)
- Professional audio/video recording equipment
- Portable radios or “boom boxes”
- Laser pointers
- Open flames
The following items are permitted at the festival.
NOTE: The Capital Jazz Fest is a special event at Merriweather Post Pavilion. Items that are permitted at the festival may or may not be permitted at other Merriweather shows.
- Coolers, picnic baskets, knapsacks, and tote bags — allowable, but are subject to inspection prior to entry. Note that food and beverages are available for purchase at the festival concession areas.
- Lawn chairs — allowable on the lawn only. Must be no higher than 36″ from the ground. Taller or larger lawn chairs are restricted to the rear of the lawn seating areas of both stages.
- Tents, canopies, and beach umbrellas — allowable only in designated areas of the festival site. Tents and canopies are not allowed on the Pavilion Stage lawn. Tents and canopies may be no wider than 10 feet. Please refer to the seating chart on the TICKET INFO page. All tents, canopies, and beach umbrellas must be removed at the end of each night’s show. Any tents, canopies, or umbrellas left overnight will be removed and discarded.
- Beverages — Bottled water and soft drinks are allowed, provided they are in factory-sealed plastic bottles or cans. Glass bottles and alcoholic beverages may not be brought onto the festival site.
- Buy early and save! — If you plan to purchase general admission/lawn tickets, be sure to take advantage of our early-bird discount. Buy your tickets early and save! Click on the TICKET INFORMATION link for more info.
- Smoking — County laws prohibit smoking in all areas of Merriweather Post Pavilion (outdoor and indoor).
- No Re-Entry — The venue has a no re-entry policy. Once you depart the festival, you will not be permitted to re-enter. When entering the venue, please bring with you any items you may need during the course of the day (umbrella, sweatshirts, medication, etc.)
- Counterfeit tickets — Be sure to purchase your festival tickets from this web site, the Merriweather box office, or from Ticketmaster (phone-charge or ticketmaster.com). Unauthorized secondary market sources, such as ticket brokers and scalpers, often sell counterfeit tickets. Neither Capital Jazz nor Merriweather Post Pavilion endorse using any secondary ticketing sources, and the Box Office will be unable to resolve any issues involving them. Patrons attempting to enter the festival with counterfeit tickets will be refused admission and have their tickets confiscated.
- Which day to come? — If you’re still undecided on which days to attend the festival, why not make a weekend out of it and come both days?
- Bootleg merchandise — If you plan to purchase any Capital Jazz Fest souvenir merchandise, be sure to make your purchase only at an official festival souvenir booth on the festival grounds. Bootleggers often roam the festival grounds and parking lots selling unauthorized, inferior bootleg or counterfeit merchandise.
- Weather — The festival is held rain or shine. Refunds will not be given in the event of inclement weather.
- Children — Children age 2 and under are admitted free only when accompanied by an adult holding a general admission ticket. All patrons seated in reserved (Pavilion) seats must have a ticket, regardless of age.
- Seat numbers on tickets — Although seat numbers may appear on general admission tickets, they are for accounting and security purposes only. Reserved seats are not provided for patrons holding general admission tickets. Only persons holding reserved (Pavilion) tickets will be admitted into the Pavilion seating area.
- Accessible seating — Persons requiring mobility accessible seating should contact Ticketmaster. Persons requiring hearing or visually accessible seating should call Merriweather at 410.715.5550.
- Drinking and driving — Drive safely and don’t drink and drive.
- Schedule changes — The festival’s talent lineup and schedule are subject to change without notice.